Just as European recognises the role of river courses such as wetlands as points of link between populations of species of community interest, so does state legislation.
Acting in conformity with these legal boundaries, it is essential to have a diagnosis on the Coherence and Connectivity of the Natura 2000 Network in Castilla y León. This is measured in terms of inter and intra connectivity with ZEC and SPAs.
This action has sought to understand and explain the degree of fragmentation of habitats of community interest, both for those included in a single Natura Network space and especially for the set of all these areas.
- Diagnosing of the state of conservation of the elements of the landscape and territorial areas linked to aquatic environments considered as key in guaranteeing and promoting connectivity in the Natura 2000 Network (Wetlands Cataloged at regional level, River Reserves that are outside the Natura 2000 Network in the field of the Mediterranean biogeographic region and cryptohumedales of interest for presenting habitats and species of community interest).
- Characterising and evaluate the state and functionality of the riversides and wetlands as ecological corridors. Identify critical areas where the functionality of the connections is compromised by infrastructure network, urban planning and other current or future actions that may act as barriers.
- To propose the inclusion of wetlands of high natural value outside the Natura 2000 Network in the National Catalog of Wetlands, with a relevant role in regional connectivity.
EXECUTION AND RESULTS:
This work has already been accomplished.
The works were aimed at improving and updating the values of the connectivity indexes and incorporating others such as the vertical connection (river-aquifer) and an inter-connectivity index RN 2000, which analyses the role of fluvial axes (channels and plains affected by floods) as components of connection.
For the development of this action the Duero Hydrographic Confederation has contracted the following works:
- Program for the control and monitoring of improvements on the longitudinal continuity for hydroelectric uses of the Duero Basin. Applied methodology and concluded results
- Elaboration of a diagnosis for coherence and connectivity of surface and underground water bodies belonging to the Natura 2000 Network, included in the scope of the LIFE MedWetRivers project. Diagnosis of coherence and connectivity of surface and subterranean water bodies
The information yielded from the execution of this action will be fundamental for the evaluation and mandatory revision of the instruments already approved for planning, management and monitoring of the Protected Areas Natura 2000 Network in Castilla y León.